Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mazske Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: How I'm headed to FIRE via Uncle Sam, etc Date: 8/9/2003 9:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I think working for Uncle Sam, or one of his cousins in the small town government, is a great way to FIRE. I am ex-Navy myself. I served 9 1/2 years on active duty and I knew the pros and the cons of staying in 11 1/2 years more. For me, the family came first so I became a civilian.

The military lifestyles is great for a single person and many married couples do just fine with it as well. However, I don't think I want to get into the merits of who stays and who doesn't in this post.

Back to the Uncle Sam way to FIRE. In any of the branches of the military, a high school graduate with only his name and clean record behind him/her, can join up and get free training. I'll use myself as an example. I had a HS diploma, and even though I had been in trouble, it was nothing major. I scored high on the ASVAB test so I was able to get into an advanced electronics program. Basically, this program gave me E-4 after a year of school, but I had to give them 6 years to get in the program.

While on active duty, I started going to college. I eventually received my BS degree utilizing tuition assistance to pay for 75% of the tuitioin.

Now, an E-1 is not making a lot of money, they are still getting a place to sleep and food to eat. If someone has their housing and food provided, that means basically all of their paycheck can go towards savings if they want.

Now, if someone is a college graduate and they can get in an Officer program, the money is much better. No matter is someone starts off as an E-1 or an O-1, the advancement possibilities are great. Combine the regular payraises with the fact that housing is provided as well as food. Bases also provide such things as a free gym, reduced costs movie theaters, bowling alleys etc. Let's not forget about the free health care as well.

Now, if there is any young person reading this, with all of the "perks" to military life there are also some downsides. You have to be willing to deploy to any place in the world at a time when most civilians are trying to leave that place. You get the same paycheck no matter if you work a 30 hour week or a 80 hour week.

I could go on and on about pros and cons of military life, but I won't.

A person can also work for Uncle Sam via many other jobs, some with the Federal government and others with local governments. All will provide a hopefully decent, although small, paycheck. All or most should provide retirement pensions as well. Some are better than others. Government jobs alone won't make you rich, but they will provide enough that a Fool can become rich.

Some careers such as fire and police may have better retirement plans. My BIL is a police officer in a big city and he has a 20 year retirement plan that will give him more than a lot of retired military will get. I have a 25 year retirement plan with my job, but there's also a 20 year early retirement option that I'm planning on taking. This pension doesn't pay as much as many other agencies pensioins do, but it'll be enough for me to survive.

The other nice thing about the military is that if you get out and get another government job, a lot of times you can "buy" back some military years to increase your pension.

Also, you can do as I'm doing. Serve your time, be it 2,3, 4 years or more and then get out and go in the Reserves. If a person gets a total of 20 years between active duty and the Reserves, they are still eligible for a pension when they turn 60, plus some other benifits along the way.

In a future post I plan on talking about using the military to pay for college. Someone else can start a thread on this, or I will at a later time.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement