UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35351  
Subject: Re: CDs > Treasuries Date: 9/5/2006 5:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I think you can also have them send the CD funds directly to an external account, but since I was dealing with a human I wanted to keep things as simple as possible, with no hidden charges, so I had the human just order the money to be sent to my ETrade brokerage account (which I knew I could move money out of easily and quickly).

Ah. No, according to them you can't go directly from eTrade to an external account. And I don't have an eTrade brokerage account.

Okay, so it seems like there is no bank that allows a direct ACH in and out. A few - Citi, AmTrust, eTrade, allow it in, but require a wire out, or to have a savings, etc account of theirs.

So I missed today's auction, but can always just do it next week instead, if the rate situation stays similar. My ladder will just have a little hiccup in it :). Seems the convenience of TreasuryDirect wins again.

I will keep an eye out for three things though:

1) Amtrust seems to be a new entry into the high yield game. If their Money Market stays competitive and so do their CD rates, it may be worth opening up a Money Market there to get easier access to their CDs.

2) Emigrant's CDs are sitting at 10 bps below my current treasury rates. If they become more competitive (either through their increase or other declines) it'll be worth considering. Ditto with HSBC who currently doesn't even really have CDs offered by their online 'Direct' entity at higher rates.

3) Maybe the occassional check to see if any banks have caught up with TreasuryDirect.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement