Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think you folks are confusing each other with this discussion of 'where' you're forming this partnership.

I believe that a partnership that is engaged only in the investing in stocks and bonds can be formed by a telephone conversation between the partners, or a written document, if you'd like a record of what you're agreeing to.

The partnership is not 'formed' in one state or another, it simply exists. It is not 'doing business' in any state, in the context of the need to register anywhere as a foreign partnership. If you think you need a domicile, then that would be where the managing partner is located.

And don't further confuse the issue by considering a limited partnership. An LP does have to file a certificate of formation with a state, and file annual reports, etc., etc. But there's no need to limit anyone's liability if you're only investing in stocks.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.