No. of Recommendations: 0
I think you should do some back of the envelope calculations based on the interest rate you can get on new CDs and the expected rate of return on the bond fund.

Short term bond funds are best (compared to other bond funds) in times of rising interest rates because the bonds they hold are scheduled to mature soon, so they take the least risk of declining NAV when interest rates rise. The price for this however is lower yield.

So I would compare the value of funds invested after say two years in a new CD to that in the bond fund assuming some loss of NAV due to rising interest rates. A correct choice requires that you guess correctly how much interest rates will increase over the next two years and what fraction of that will be reflected in future payouts of the bond fund and what fraction in reduced NAV.

If the analysis fails to show a clear advantage for the bond fund, I would go with the CDs (or if funds to be invested are large enough investment grade corporate bonds). Two year Treasuries soon should be paying 7.5% interest. At those levels, fixed income investments begin to look attractive.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement