No. of Recommendations: 0
I think your lawyer screwed you, pardon my straight-forwardness. Any lawyer who knows what the heck he/she is doing would have prepared a quitclaim deed to be signed along with the settlement agreement. But that's water under the bridge now.

First thing I would do is call the lawyer who handled your divorce and demand that this be done. Without extra fees. Then your lawyer can call his lawyer who, in turn, can put some pressure on your ex to sign.

If he refuses at this point, you will have no recourse but to go back to court to get the agreement enforced or to get an order that a title company will accept to quiet title. It will be expensive and time-consuming. You might also want to talk to your title company. I can't advise you on insurance plans, but I know there is a way to insure the title company against a title problem and close that way.

Of course, you might be left with the only recourse of sensible action, and that would be to shoot him. Would his heirs sign? (Just kidding . . . )

Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.