Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ramair4 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25214  
Subject: Re: Roth 401K-brokers that allow individual stoc Date: 8/14/2013 10:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I thought about the risk of not being diversified but with such a small amount of money to invest my choices are limited. I can't buy much of anything. I started buying individual stocks because I was trying to make the most money I can, as fast as I can to attempt to catch up. I have never been a risk taker with money. It's hard enough to earn so sure don't want to lose any but I started thinking that I probably can't earn enough before I "retire" to live comfortably. I need the money I can save to make money too.
I talked to Schwab and they do offer a 401K with a Roth option. It's not shown on their site because they go to a third party firm to set it up. That firm will customize plans for you. They said a 401k plan for me and my wife is $215/year for the "employer" and an additional $25/year for the "employee". Only other fees are $8.95/trade. That's for a basic plan with no loan option, no adviser assistance, etc... One point about it though, it's only really part Roth. "Employee" contributions are like a Roth, "employer" are like a traditional. That's still better than a regular Roth than only allows $6,500 max., and I can buy individual stocks if I want to.
Regarding the way we contribute and don't physically pay ourselves, they said as long as your tax records show (which they do)that the both of us are getting paid salaries we are fine.
I just have to be sure that my investments make enough money to more than justify the annual fee and trade fees. Another reason to have very aggressive stock choices.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement