UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bruceg17 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76080  
Subject: Re: Still don't know whether to convert to Roth Date: 6/6/2000 7:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I thought I would add my $0.02 to this debate. I recently left a job where I had a small amount of money invested in the 401k. As such, I also debated what to do with it. I opted for converting to the Roth because I am 29 (lot's of time to grow) and I have savings to pay for the taxes now. My financial planner said that the tax hit now at 28% would hopefully be lower than my retirement tax bracket. Man, I hope he is right! It's a calculated risk. Ultimately you have to do what makes you comfortable (i.e. you can sleep at night). If you are unsure, it might make sense to take the advise from an earlier post and convert gradually to reduce the tax penalty today and allow you to save for your house. Good luck with your decision.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement