UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1719  
Subject: Re: IRA Date: 3/10/2007 8:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I thought only for Roth IRA one had to have earned income. The regular quallified one -not, or at least we pay taxes on the pension etc.

To contribute to any IRA, one must have earned income. Pension and SS income does not count. Here are the rules from IRS Publication 590 ( http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590.pdf ):

You can set up and make contributions to a traditional IRA if:

You (or, if you file a joint return, your spouse) received taxable compensation during the year, and

You were not age 70½ by the end of the year.

What Is Compensation?

Generally, compensation is what you earn from working. For a summary of what compensation does and does not include, see Table 1-1.

Table 1-1. Compensation for Purposes of an IRA
Includes ...                               Does not include ...  
wages, salaries, etc. earnings and profits from property.
commissions. interest and dividend income.
self-employment income. pension or annuity income.
alimony and separate maintenance. deferred compensation.
income from certain partnerships.
any amounts you exclude from income.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.