Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: EscapeMN Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5661  
Subject: Re: My son, the picky eater (long) Date: 10/12/2000 3:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I, too, have a picky eater (in fact, a 10-year-old boy who is also horrified at slaughter conditions and who won't eat at McDonald's because of the McCruelty site).

The rest of my family are not vegies, although they eat a lot of vegie food because I'm the main cook in the household. I'll often do a meat side-dish, with the major part of the meal being vegie stuff. He won't eat ANYTHING green (to the extent that he once picked all the oregano off his pizza before he'd eat it). His tastes tend to run toward hot dogs, ramen noodles and macaroni & cheese.

I have never believed in forcing children to eat anything. We have a rule, though, called the "No Thank You" helping. The kids have to take at least a little spoonful of everything, and try it. They're welcome to have more if they end up liking the food. I always make sure to offer SOMETHING the kids will eat -- usually breadsticks, corn, or something like that. His gustatory horizons have opened up a little bit using this system. But not much.

I've decided that I'm just not going to worry about it. It's not a power struggle, and I have to respect his preferences. He's growing, basically healthy, and doesn't seem to be starving.

That's how I handle the picky eater in my family.

It sounds like you're doing what you can do!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement