Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ToesOnTheNose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21940  
Subject: Re: Hiring a photographer Date: 1/20/2004 3:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I try not to use flash anyway and shoot 1000 speed color negative for that -- many people do not know the difference.

I often use TMAX 3200, rated at 1600. I get very good results with that. However, I am very unfamiliar with color negative film in that range. How does it hold up for enlargements using 35mm?

I have an inside evening church wedding on Friday night. Although, I plan on using Portra 400 VC, I would like to try the 800. I could just push the 400 if I need to, but I'd rather not.

IMAO, the photographer should shoot everything medium format except possibly candid stuff at the reception that might be 35mm (but why not shoot MF for that, too?).

If I could ask you to elaborate on this, I am very interested. MF is a royal PITA. It is clunky, not very useful for weddings, and not good for any movement. It is great for portraits, stills, and other things in a studio. But, my experience is that it really is slow and clunky. (Of course, when you say MF, I am talking about a 6x7, which is what I have. There are 6x4.5's now that are only a tad larger than 35mm and they have AF and other 35mm type features. And the beauty is, you get a larger negative). But, with a 35mm, you can really get things fast, capture moments that you may have missed because "you weren't ready", etc. I rarely even use a tripod because I like to change my POV slightly.

IMO, weddings were made for the 35mm format. They are perfect. I will do engagement shoots using my MF. I will also do bridal shoots using the MF, but for the wedding day, I gotta go with the 35mm.

How in tarnations would you shoot a whole wedding using a MF camera?

Toes

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Online Photos
Yahoo! Groups
(Registration Required)
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement