UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: satdi One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757917  
Subject: Re: WalMart leads way on 401k flexibility Date: 2/5/2002 2:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I understand what you're saying. BUT.. in real life business will never succumb to free market forces and needs to be watch-dogged. Too much money at stake. What they really want is privatized profits, socialized costs, and strategic alliance WITH goverment.
I think the free market types would point out that if I cannnot afford it I should die or keep working.

No employer really wants workers or payroll except as tax breaks maybe.

Walmart, Enron, and every other big business screw job perpetrated on working people is not caused by government. Whatever the gov is doing vis a vis medical insurance has nothing to do with whether Walmart screws it's workers

I agree gov mucking in medical insurance is not the best way to manage it. (20+ yrs in the military. They kill people there and then golf with the General for career brownie points. You have no options choices or anything) BUT if markets could handle the situation we wouldn't be having this conversation.

In fact insurance itself is not constructed to operate on a free market basis. They don't want to provide ANY "goods". It's BAD for the company. They just want to take in premiums and never pay out.

But the problem with medical insurance is that it is a NECESSITY and as such cannot be relied upon on a free market basis. Even Adam Smith said that. Free markets function best with optional items. Also, he said that in a free society every person should have what he called "necessaries" (we would say necessities) and that these things are different from place to place and change over time. In other words the people will decide what is necessary.

I never hear any free market types who actually know anything about Adam Smith or even the U.S. Founders. They continually quote out of context or misquote or conveniently not quote all sorts things like those Bible people who pull out only those parts of the Bible they want to make their point of the moment. That Ben Franklin thing about security vs freedom is so overplayed it's nauseating.

Actually, the free-market types will point at this as a wonderful example of the natural consequences of letting the government completely dominate the market - both buyers and sellers - for medical care AND medical insurance...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement