Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I unfortunately got divorced last year (became final in October) and was wondering how that affects my tax return - I'm a student so I don't really have any income, but my ex-wife had earnings. Do I just file a personal return and exclude everything from my wife, or do I have to file two returns for the different time periods?

Your marital status is determined as of 12/31. You're Single for 2004.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.