UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GameMaker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190815  
Subject: Re: Password Keepers Date: 1/25/2013 12:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I use LastPass, and love it.

Top reasons I love it:

- I no longer have to remember the passwords to my stuff. Every one of my logins (not just financial) has a unique password. So I don't worry about Amazon, Apple, Sony, The Fool - if any one of them is hacked, it cannot leak to any of my other logins.
- Even if they are hacked, my data is safe - it is decrypted locally, by my master password alone. In fact, they WERE hacked. http://www.pcworld.com/article/227268/lastpass_ceo_exclusive...
The damage was minimal and easily abetted by changing my master password, which I did. As an added step, I went through and changed the passwords for all my sites. Using the included Generate Password tool, it took under an hour, and now all my passwords were different than they were. Even if the crooks were able to decrypt my passwords - they were no longer valid.
- It works on all my devices, mobile, desktop, all browsers, all my computers. I have access to all my passwords, all the time, not just when I'm at work, at home, etc.
- It has Form Fill, so when I go to fill out a shipping address form, I click "Home", and it's filled in, including credit card number, expiration date, security code, etc.
- It supports "identities". It knows by which Identity is active which login to use when the browser goes to Facebook.com. My wife, son, and I all have logins, and it keeps them separate.
- It supports "Secure Notes", where I can keep other info like IP addresses and stuff.
- If I ever decide to shut it off, I can export all my info and take it with me. I'm not trapped into using it.

Their iOS app leaves something to be desired in terms of usability and functionality, but I can get by with it.

I don't believe any solution is perfect, because passwords are intrinsically flawed. This gives me by far the best flexibility and security with ease of use. Ultimately I think all the ones listed on the thread are probably equally good, I just happened to get started with LastPass, and it works, so I have no reason to switch.

Godo luck sorting this all out,
GM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement