UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: akck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59773  
Subject: Re: Next up, the Social Security decision Date: 10/26/2012 12:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I used the AARP calculator. No matter what you enter, they give the same answer: higher earner files and suspends at 66, lower earner collects whichever is higher at 66 (their own benefit or 50% of spouse's), higher earner collects at 70, everybody lives fo-evah <eye roll>.. It's like a broken record.

I don't want to shell out massive amounts of savings until we're 66 and 70. More modest amounts, OK. Rebooting, yeah, maybe. One file this year one file next, I'd consider it.

That's been my experience too. It's likely because the 8% increase you get overwhelms the analysis. I'd guess the fee site will tell you something similar, but will maybe pinpoint the time frame better.

My feelings are similar to yours, not wanting to shell out savings. While the downloaded book leads to a similar conclusion as above, there is a chapter discussing not following it if you believe you can out preform the 8%, with funds you "save" by taking SS earlier. In my case, I want to leave an inheritance, so the best way to do so is to not use as much savings early. I also think by doing so, you'll have a cushion in case they make changes to SS that will affect current retirees collecting.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement