UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14995  
Subject: Re: Poll: Sleeping Problems? Date: 7/26/2012 7:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I used to be a champeen sleeper. But after a couple years of menopause, which cncided with working oart time at home, I started sleeping about 2am to 9-11am. Still got about 8 hrs, though. then I started waking up earlier while still falling asleep late. now I'm lucky to get 6 hours. I seem unable to nap, so it leaves me a bit draggy. I did see a sleep doc, who of course wanted me to stop using the computer before bed. But that just means I'm wide staring awake in the dark longer.

my husband has always been an awesome sleeper, but with age/prostate enlargement, he has to get up to pee most nights. not normally a problem except when we're RVing. Then he has to climb around me (I'm a wee bit claustrophobic and cannot sleep between him & a wall), so he wakes me up maybe 2-3 nights a week. I can usually go right back to sleep, but not always.

Unlike when I was younger, I now need dead quiet, utter blackness, and perfect comfort (great mattress and pillows, soft bed linens/blanket, comfy temp which in my case means in the 60s) in order to fall asleep. if I can see so much as the sleep light on a laptop or the green light of the smoke detector, it's a problem.

I have also learned that getting more exercise is little help in my case. Also, I seem immune to the soporific effects of Melatonin, aspirin/ibuprofen or Benadryl, and caffeine seems to make no difference either. Even sex, which used to be a great sleep aid, doesn't seem to work that way any more. I borrowed a couple of diazepam from my friend, but that gave me unrestful sleep that left me feeling drugged--and not in a good way.

One good thing is that with weight loss, less allergy probs (much less post-nasal drip) and better immune system through diet, nutritional supplements and alternative medicine--and maybe age and just good luck, difficulty breathing is rarely an issue.

I do better when we're RVing (except for my husband sometimes waking me up), as I tend to get to sleep 10pm-midnight instead of midnight-1 or 2am.

I have no idea if I'm clinically depressed, but I'm definitely cranky and less happy on less sleep. Sigh.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement