UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (43) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Vetiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1951168  
Subject: Re: Napolitano Lied About "Long Lines at th Date: 3/5/2013 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I used to run a sales group that was extremely profitable. At one point, the company as a whole was having a bad year and I was required to lay off 10% of my customer service folk as part of a general layoff, a sequestor. Our customer service ratings had been so-so before then, but as you can imagine, they got worse after the layoff. They got worse in-part because I was the one that collected the data and after the layoff I encouraged the customer to give voice to any complaint they had.

Secretary Napolitano was certainly giving made up data. The link cited by bears asserts as a fact that she was ordered to fear-monger. Part of the reason much of the right wing press does not get taken seriously is that even when they have some legitimate gripe against the administration, it comes surrounded by totally made up complaints which come in a constant stream, and the reporter could not resist making up a few extra facts for the story.

However, in reference to Napolitano, when someone criticizes their own organization, frequently it is to obtain greater resources. Rather than fear mongering, I would assume that her motivation was to get people to complain to justify sparing her department from the general sequester cuts. Ultimately, I would expect that long lines at airport security and customs won't result in longer lines... the math doesn't add up. If it takes so long, so many man-minutes, to get someone through airport security or customs, longer lines does not reduce the workload unless folk stop traveling because of them. What will happen is that they will speed people up through airport security and not bother to check more people going though customs... in other words cut or dilute the quality of what it is they do. That will work just fine until they have an incident.... which is inevitable.

Napalitano's first motivation will be to try and spare her organization from the cuts; er second will be CYA. Again, complaints about how Homeland Security is doing its job actually help her personally at this point. Rather than the motivation in the article Bears cited, I would be pretty sure that she was encouraging people to complain in order to get Homeland Security excluded from the sequester cuts.

V.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (43) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement