UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6641  
Subject: Re: New user Date: 7/6/2012 7:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I used to run UNIX in the old days when the source code for the kernel was 6 files of assembly code. And the maximum file size was 66635 bytes or something like that. Later it was converted to C, and when Steve Johnson wrote The Portable C Compiler, it was a relatively simple matter to retarget that compiler for another machine and move the UNIX kernel to a new machine. Not trivial, but relatively simple. I think that was in the early to mid 1970s. I did not like UNIX at the time because it was terrible at doing real-time process control, and that was one of the things I needed to do. I had a DEC PDP-11/45 with 48 KBytes of RAM, and two hard drives that ran about 2500 rpm and held 40 megabytes. Each the size of a top-loading washing machine.

It was pretty reliable.

Around 1996 I got my first PC and it has Windows 95 on it. I did not know I could get UNIX on it, or a $10,000 license for it from AT&T or I would have.

In about 1998, I switched from Windows 95 to Red Hat Linux 5.0 because I just could not stand the terrible reliability of Windows, the awkward development environment, and such. Also incompatibility of various programs all supplied by Microsoft.

At the time, RHL 5.0 was pretty good, but the desktop software did not function fully. I.e., those three little square buttons at the top of each window did not work. Also it crashed once in a while (no where near as often as Windows), mainly in the graphic windowing interface; i.e., the kernel stayed up. Things like that. Things got a lot better with RHL 6.0 and 6.2. By RHL 7.3, it worked perfectly at all times and never crashed. I am now running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (and RHEL 6 is out). It costs about $1/day for a license, but is probably a bit much for a beginner to use. I have never run Ubuntu or any other distro, but my friends who are primarily Apple users, also run Linux and Ubuntu is probably used by most of them..

If you are picking a distro, my suggestion is to pick whatever one is used by most of your friends, or whatever is most used by knowledgeable members of your local computer group.

Your non-repeatable problems you should not tolerate. The Linux kernel is extremely reliable. I have been running RHEL 5 for 5 years or so (soon after it came out); I run it 24/7 and it has never crashed.

Settings tend to be kept in either your home directory (the ones you are having trouble with are probably there), or somewhere under /etc.

You should set up a separate login for each user, and have a separate one for root. Do not tell your son the root password or the one to your account. Then you can be pretty sure your son is not monkeying with your settings.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement