No. of Recommendations: 0
dear fools,

tax-planning and retirement planning have definitely not gone hand-in-hand in my world... in fact, planning in general would not be considered one of my fortes so thank you for your patience in advance...

i max out the paltry $10.5k in pre-tax contributions allowance to my 401k at about mid-year because i contribute 15% of my salary (+6% matched by my employer) on a pre-tax basis and then convert to AT contributions for the balance of the year...100% of my contributions are invested in equity index funds(excluding 1% of the company match which goes into the stock of the which i am grossly over-weighted)

i also invest about 2% of my AT salary in VFINX.

i definitely exceed the maximum AGI limits for tax deductible contributions to an IRA since i participate in the company sponsored there are no immediately obvious tax advantages to having an ira

but, i feel as if everyone else has an IRA, and i want one too,

i know plenty of those people make more money than i do but i can't quite determine why it would make more sense for me to begin contributing to an IRA on a non-deductible basis versus continuing to invest after-tax dollars in the 401K, other than the fact that i would have access to a wider range of investment alternatives...(not necessarily something to ignore)

oh yea, in case it matters…i am in my mid 30s with no kids and i invest my bonus in equities as well…(really should consider bonds at some point..)

okay you fools,…what am i missing? I searched the boards earlier and ended up heading for the medicine cabinet for some advil…
Print the post  

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.