UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 39dopey One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75835  
Subject: Re: young student starting IRA Date: 6/16/1999 9:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I want to keep all of this money in an IRA account, but I want to set up this account through a discount online broker so that I can trade stocks (using top ten strategy) at will. If I close out my existing account will I lose my IRA tax-exempt status? Do I have to wait until December to complete this transfer?

You're making what strikes me as a sensible and mature decision, and fortunately the system will also make this an easy one. Open an account with the broker of your choice ... the discount broker boards here have good information ... and fill out the papers to transfer your assets directly from one account to the other. It's that simple, and they handle the rest. If the old broker has a fee for closing the account, you can play games with it by transferring most but not quite all of the assets from the account so it's not really being closed. Even if those last few dollars get a meager return, that may be a whole lot better than having them keep $25 because you've wised up about over-paying for under-performance.

The new account is still an IRA and you have no tax issues if they directly transfer the funds for you. Also, there is no need to wait; you can move the money any time after age 18. As for the strategy you have in mind, please take a good look at transaction costs and the size of your account before making a final decision. I'm not disagreeing with your strategy, just suggesting that you make sure you've taken costs into account.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement