UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HobbyDave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 418  
Subject: Re: Ceberon's Sweet Dividend Love Date: 3/20/2007 8:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I wanted to send another update as well. As I described in the past, my port was just high dividend payers (5% if possible) so that the actual stocks wouldn't need to be liquidated.

The total port value is now $682k, with 19k in cash so far this year from dividends. I haven't looked into the stocks performance at all since I bought them almost 2 years ago.

Best performer: T with 77%
Worst performer: WM with -1.5%

List of stocks:
BMY
CAG
ED
GAS
MO
MRK
PGL
PGN
RAI
T
UST
WM

There are a few specific nice things about this portfolio.

1. Since it has dividends to rely upon, stock movement doesn't matter nearly as much as if you were selling stocks to live on.

2. Since they're high payers, it seems to provide somewhat of a floor on stock price as well. You just need to make sure they're not going out of business trying to pay their dividends :)

3. This is the type of retirement portfolio I could see actually owning. It pays around 4% I believe on average, which means I should be able to live on dividends alone, completely leaving the stocks alone. I'd just need to buy these stocks and let the dividends come to me as a salary.

We'll see how it does long term, though normally I would probably re-evaluate each stock every 6 months or so, just to see if my reason for owning had changed. I actually have no idea how these stocks are really doing, as I haven't looked at them in months :)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement