Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: Looking back... Date: 8/7/2010 8:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I was browsing through some posts from 2007 and was struck by how different the mood was back than.
Lots of talk about how investment returns were greater than annual savings so why bother continueing to work?
I guess if every year was that good no one would need to work.

I'm still here, still working towards FI/RE. After peaking in August of 08, in August of 09 I recovered losses and my net worth peaked at a new high. The last year has been very volatile but trending up with a new personal high set in July. In theory, I could be FI now if I scaled back on lifestyle that has creeped up a bit over the years (working on it but will not be so extreme as to reach FI). I'm probably about 10 years out from FI/RE. (same as I told myself 10 years ago!)

Certainly, after the last few years I am less optimistic eco-politically. I got married so that changed things a bit. She makes decent money and is on board to retire early; certainly opportunities and risk bringing in a partner. -Financially less savvy inlaws are my biggest fear (not realized yet but way different philosophy wrt personal finances than me and my wife -don't know where she got it from).

I have a lot more in cash now...starting to burn a hole in my pocket but not sure where to invest and haven't had the time to research.

DW and I are looking to downsize a bit and sell my house that we both don't like and move into an apartment. We'll then likely look to MOOTFL a bit and try to get gov't gobs in Europe for a couple years with the goal to travel extensively on our free time so when we FIRE, we've already got a lot of travel (expenses) under our belt. We'll likely return to a lower COL area of the country (mountains!?) and hopefully find enjoyable, less stressful work to live off of while our portfolio seasons enough to reach full FI.

FoolNBlue (Less optimistic but knowing I'm still doing well)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement