UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465396  
Subject: Re: An interesting, possibly growing List Date: 12/31/2012 11:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 44
I was just kidding!

I thought you were a Hippie. ;-)

If everyone worked in mainstream retail for several years, like I did, they would realise what horrendous chiselers USians are.

I'm not talking about straight up shoplifters, who pinch merchandise and sell it on the street, or the brassier ones that take stuff off the shelf, bring it up to the counter and demand a refund. Nor the ones that buy stuff with a check, then demand a cash refund before the check bounces.

I'm not talking about the sort that buys stuff, then takes the new item out of the box, puts some old piece of junk in the box for ballast, then goes back to the store with the new box and their receipt and demands a refund, hoping the clerk doesn't look inside the box.

I'm not even talking about the ones that buy something when it's on sale, then, after the sale is over, ditch the receipt and demand a refund of the full retail price.

I'm talking about the chiselers who use retail stores as free rental services. They buy a camcorder, then go on a vacation, and refund the camcorder when their vacation is over. They buy a stereo a couple days before New Year, and after their New Year party is over, refund the stereo. They buy a half dozen office telephones, then, when their telemarketing contract is complete, refund the phones. People that buy particle board "ready to assemble" furniture, then say "you displayed the fully assembled desk, not a pile of parts, you need to build this for me for free". People who buy stuff just to play with it for a couple weeks, then refund it and buy something else, play with it for a couple weeks, then refund it and buy something else....over and over.

People in that last group would be insulted if you called them crooks. They think they are entitled to do what they are doing. They throw a hissy fit if you refuse to refund the item or charge a restocking fee. The reality is they are cheating the store just as surely as the shoplifter.

The same goes for the chiselers who demand government services, and demand the services be free, and refuse to pay tax to cover the cost of the services they demand.
/rant

Steve
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement