UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (103) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: surfpnk One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 571  
Subject: Re: Religious? Or Not? Date: 9/27/2001 2:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I was raised in a Catholic household, went to Catholic school until junior high, was an altar boy, etc. Religion wasn't the center of our family's universe, it seemed more like an afterthought, as a family we only attended mass on the "big" days, you know, like Christmas and Easter. At that point in life, religion just didn't register in my mind. It was simply a routine in life, something I didn't really understand, or really care to understand. In all those days going to Catholic school I don't recall once opening up a Bible and reading it in class. There were religion classes, but no Bible. How odd. Even at that early an age, though, I really didn't believe in any god. But I didn't know why.

Anyhow, I was curious when I got into my teens and at that time read the Bible for the first time. Fanciful tales, I began thinking, and really disturbing in some cases (Hosea 13:16 comes to mind). I think Song of Solomon was my first taste of reading any kind of erotica. The Bible has it all! Violence, sex, love, death, plagues, talking animals, you name it. But I could never convince myself that what I was reading was real, or was inspired by some omni-everything deity. I went to some non-Catholic denominations wondering what insight they could give to me on the god angle, but I didn't really learn anything new. I was amazed, though, at the varying interpretations each had. No one was consistent. By my early teens, I had written off Christianity as being the one true religion.

I started reading about some of the other world religions too: Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Shinto, Mithraism, etc. etc., but I was equally unimpressed. I came to a realization that each of these religions claimed to be the truth in some form, so logically they all couldn't be correct. If that's the case, then which religion do you pick? Some had said to throw out religion altogether and simply believe in god, but that just didn't make sense to me either. I just didn't believe. By the age of 16, my default position was that of atheism. No one had pushed me or prodded me, I wasn't mad at anything or anyone, I don't "hate" God, I wasn't looking for an excuse to "be bad", I just found through experience and study that I simply didn't believe in any god or gods, and that religion didn't apply to me.

That was 17 years ago, and I'm still an atheist. My knowledge of religion has grown exponentially over the years and my study of it continues, as I have a great respect for it and find it absolutely fascinating, but I still don't buy any of it.

Cheers!
Michael
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (103) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement