Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I was rummaging around on misc.taxes.moderated to see if I could find one of the discussions I recall and was reminded of something else that might work in your situation. If you are paying Korean tax on your earnings you could take the foreign tax credit rather than electing the foreign earned income exclusion. This would leave your wages available as "taxable compensation" for IRA purposes. You'd have to run the numbers to see if it would be worthwhile.

Lots of information in Pub 54.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.