UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1490  
Subject: Re: over half of retirees plan poorly Date: 3/17/2005 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I was thinking: A course in financial planning should be a mandatory class before graduating high school.

I had a dad who encouraged me to save. I am trying to do the same for my children who are 19 and 21. I find they are having a hard time finding a job that will offer them a 401k plan while they are still full time students. The jobs that pay them well are listing them as temporary employees. So, I encourage them to fund their Roth IRAs.

I found the "Fool" 5 yrs. before retiring. I took their retirement workshops and was always working with the retirement calculators.

I did well in planning for my retirement. But things have not been exactly what I planned for. Who knew interest rates would be so low? I had 4 yrs. college tuition planned for my son. But college costs were much higher then projected. Health insurance is higher. And the cost of my dream condo for retirement was 3 times the cost then it was a year before my retirement. So I adjusted my plans.

If I had not planned at all, I could not have been successful. I have accomplished much of my plans for retirement, but have had to make adjustments. And I'm sure I will make many more during my retirement years.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement