UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Mark0Young Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35387  
Subject: Re: converting paper bonds.... Date: 3/2/2005 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was thinking it was probably about time I convert my paper bonds to electronic bonds.

When I log on to my TreasuryDirect account and click on "What's New", the second "What's New" page lists "Convert Your Paper Bonds" under "What's Next", that is, this feature isn't generally available yet. When I go to "Account Info", the bottom of the page has "Invite to Convert: No", which sounds to me like they may be allowing some people to convert paper savings bonds to "book entry" form as a limited test.

I found a page that lists the email addresses where you can email questions: http://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/help/help.htm

According to http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/sav/sbregfaq.htm#eliminating you will be able to convert EE-Bonds and I-Bonds in the future:

4. Will owners of paper EE and I bonds be required to open a TreasuryDirect account?

Owners of paper savings bonds may continue to hold them in that form, but Treasury will add a convenient feature to TreasuryDirect to encourage them to convert their holdings to electronic form, if they choose. Owners of HH/H bonds will not be able to convert their bonds to electronic form and hold them in their TreasuryDirect account.

That FAQ mentions converting EE-Bonds and I-Bonds to "book entry" form in several places, but with substantially the same wording. The FAQ is silent on E-Bonds.

Hopefully when conversion is being offered more publicly there will be more information.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement