Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
I was thinking that I would need to record these as noncash gifts and file form 8283 (the total spent on all items is over $500, with no item over $250). But the instructions I'm reading seem to be entirely about donations of my own pesonal property -- things I already owned rather than things I bought specifically for the charity. So now I'm wondering if it's legit to treat these as cash contributions, as if the fact that I took care of the purchasing was somehow separate from the fact that I provided the dough?

This won't make a difference in my tax liability, I'm just hoping to get away with a little less paperwork.


I'm not a tax expert, but ... didn't you own the items personally once you bought them. If you then gave them to whatever charity is the same as giving your own personal property, isn't it?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.