Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Re: Ira Fees Date: 9/17/1998 8:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
[[I was wondering what the rules were for paying IRA account fees with money from outside the IRA
account.]]

Just ask me, and I'll be happy to tell you.

[[ My broker says that it is alright to pay the yearly service charge with non-contributed
money, but that commisions on stocks must be paid from within the IRA.]]

And your broker is 100% kee-rect. If the annual fee is billed to you separately, and you pay the fee from funds outside of your IRA, not only does it save the IRA account money, but you get the deduction as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.

But commissions are clearly a different bird altogether. And those expenses must stay within the IRA account, and can not be reimbursed.

[[ My feeling is that it should
either be possible to pay all costs and fees from outside the IRA or they should all be from within.
Otherwise it seems to allow a loophole for certain individuals. But, I don't know - any help from the
crowd?]]

Without going into a bunch of tax clap-trap, and boring you with technical jargon, simply understand that the IRS considers the IRA fee more of an administrative fee that is a charge for services rendered. But the commissions on the purchase/sale of stock are an intergral component to the asset purchased or sold. And it is a longstanding rule that any costs to purchase a capital asset must be added to the asset. And any costs to sell an asset must also be used to reduce the gross sales price of the assets.

Since your commissions are part and parcel of the stock transactions, they must remain with the stock, which must remain in the IRA.

Think about your own personal (taxable) account. You can't deduct the commissions that you pay on that account as an "itemized deduction", right? No you can't. Those commissions stay with the stock. As must the commissions on stock that you buy/sell within your IRA account.

TMF Taxes
Roy

SPECIAL NOTE: Remember that this response is not the "last word" on your situation. It is really only a starting point. Make sure to review the "Read This First" post
(http://www.fool.com/School/Taxes/TaxesDisclaimer.htm) for additional information. In addition, many of your questions may already be referenced in the Taxes Frequently Asked Questions area. In order to visit the Taxes FAQ area, go to the Fool's Money area (http://www.fool.com/money.htm) and check out "Tax FAQs" in the list box, OR you can jump directly to the Taxes FAQ area (http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm). Additionally, if any references were made to the IRS Web Site, you can get there by pointing your web browser to (http://www.irs.ustreas.gov).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement