UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: CelloSpice Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 736948  
Subject: Re: The new marriage penalty Date: 1/6/2013 8:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I wasn't suggesting doing something illegal

I didn't say you were. Go back and look at what I wrote. I was pointing out that my experience over several years suggests that "bigger fish to fry" is a huge myth.

For what did you get audited? Getting audited is rare if you provide supporting documentation.

First, I didn't get audited, I was investigated on a limited scope.

Secondly, it is my understanding that an audit is initiated before you present supporting documentation. During the audit, the supporting documentation becomes relevant. Audits may be rare, but having supporting documentation doesn't prevent you from being audited. It can, however, prevent you from losing.

But more importantly, you don't need to be subject to an audit to have a horrible experience with the IRS. See, that's the dirty little secret. All of this information about the IRS reflects who and how many people they audit. There are investigations below the audit level that will scare the snot out of you. Nobody tells you about that. I am telling you that. Nobody ever believes me, so I should stop trying to warn people, huh. I've also written several times about how to get through an IRS investigation. Those were probably not read, either. Oh, well.

I would not want to be audited. That would be a nightmare. I think if I had ever lost in one of the investigations, it might have triggered a full audit. Thank God that never happened. At least not yet. I'm trying hard to keep it that way.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement