UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734735  
Subject: Deleted Message Date: 12/10/2012 10:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
The message you're trying to access has been removed from the boards. The most likely reason for this is that the message violated our Fool's Rules about appropriate content. Either that or it was swallowed up by intergalactic space beasts from the planet Xeenu.

Please check out The Motley Fool's Terms and Conditions of Service.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659222 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 11:17 AM
Recommendations: 3
2828, I think you might want to rethink some of the web sites you apparently go. The FBI and Obama's stormtroopers are monitoring who goes to sites they don't think are sufficiently multi-cultural.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659223 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 11:18 AM
Recommendations: 0
Unfortunately, I went to the site to read the story. Big mistake on my part.

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659224 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 11:19 AM
Recommendations: 4
What happens?

Well, evil Old White Males need to pay more.

Maybe y'all should get a 2nd job to cover the additional tax bills.

And just sip some water while America continues to shun skilled immigrants, but rolls out the welcome mat for those who will soak up your entitlement systems.

This is why i've been the pessimist. I've seen the writing on the wall.

Rome was lovely while it lasted.

But you've let barbarians from the outside run wild and you've betrayed your religions and traditions.

You're screwed now.

JediG

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659228 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 11:34 AM
Recommendations: 15
That's what i've been wondering myself. What happens when the money runs out? What happens when we're 20 trillion in debt and then interest rates creep up and we're spending all the tax dollars to service the debt? For one thing i wouldn't be importing muslims and their peace loving ways, we got enough problems.

Don't you read PeterRabbit?

It will never happen because it has never happened before

Heck, Greece is not really happening, I can tell, because it never happened before

In fact America does not even exist and it was not prosperous. I can tell, because only a model that kind of worked but really doesn't can be used to move anything forward.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659232 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 12:15 PM
Recommendations: 4
It will never happen because it has never happened before.

Maybe it's because I made the mistake of majoring in History but I can't help but notice what has happened before and use that as evidence that doing the same stupid things over and over again tends to turn out badly.

Of course pointing out the obvious gets you derision around some parts of TMF. Like on another board where someone asked why a certain stock that has had a tremendous run-up over the past several years is suddenly being sold off like mad. They heard rumors it had to do with the fiscal cliff but, why just that stock?

I pointed out that capital gains taxes are almost certainly going to go up next year, and a lot of people have made a lot of money on that particular stock. Now if you were going to sell in the next year or two anyway why would you wait until AFTER those taxes went up to sell? You'd simply be giving yourself a higher tax bill! That's not the entire reason for the stock going down but if you're looking for a reason related to the fiscal cliff, there it is. I also pointed out that this is why raising taxes does not automatically increase tax revenue... if people know a tax increase is coming they'll take steps to not have to pay it (well, most people, apparently if you're a liberal it is your patriotic duty to take it in the shorts).

One of the regular deniers got all huffy. 'If they sell now we get more money now, if they sell later we get more money later, blah blah blah.' Yeah, apparently common sense isn't all that common. Those people WOULDN'T be selling now if they didn't expect their taxes to go up for selling next year. They're making economic decisions based on tax policy, not the expected profits of the company in question. In other words they're reacting to the government raising taxes, not what they should be paying attention to which is how good the investment is.

Why liberals prefer an economy where you have to pay more attention to what the government does or doesn't want you to do rather than what is actually in your financial best interest is beyond me. They literally pine for the days when people would invest to LOSE money just in order to lower their outrageous tax bills! It's insanity! Well, it's liberalism, same difference.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659237 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 12:39 PM
Recommendations: 1
What happens when the money runs out? What happens when we're 20 trillion in debt and then interest rates creep up and we're spending all the tax dollars to service the debt? For one thing i wouldn't be importing muslims and their peace loving ways, we got enough problems.

When the EBT cards stop working, all he!! will break loose.

Listen and learn.

http://westernrifleshooters.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/bracken...

Won't be a good idea to live in an major city like Chicago. Sorry Andrew.

Mike

Author: twopairfullhouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659243 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 12:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
It's obvious that many liberals either don't think things through, or expect that everyone else doesn't. A perfectly good strategy is to sell now, buy back in 31 days (so as not to trigger the wash-sale rule) and you've basically raised your basis and will pay tax on the current gain at current rates. Sure, you might pay a little more than the price at which you sold, but if you're sitting on a large multi-year gain, it's probably worth it.

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659250 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 1:16 PM
It's obvious that many liberals either don't think things through, or expect that everyone else doesn't. A perfectly good strategy is to sell now, buy back in 31 days (so as not to trigger the wash-sale rule) and you've basically raised your basis and will pay tax on the current gain at current rates. Sure, you might pay a little more than the price at which you sold, but if you're sitting on a large multi-year gain, it's probably worth it.

twopairfullhouse

Excellent idea. Why waste the 15% cap gains rate. It will probably never again be this low. And by raising your cost basis, you lower your future potential capital gains and capital gains taxes.

Mike

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659251 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 1:23 PM
I think there's a stong chance that whatever agreement is reached between the Dems and the Repubs the 15% cap gain and dividend rate will remain the same for folks with AGIs under $250K, at least I hope so. Bottom line: I'm not selling just for this reason. I hope I don't regret it.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659264 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 3:02 PM
Recommendations: 7
Why liberals prefer an economy where you have to pay more attention to what the government does or doesn't want you to do rather than what is actually in your financial best interest is beyond me.

it shouldn't be beyond you

The government is the good guys, they have no profit motive so there is no reason for them to do anything except what is best.

Therefore, any failure of government is caused by Republicans, because they do not trust government and either hamstring it or intentionally set it up to fail -- if you do not trust government to be a force for good, how can you be expected to allow it to do everything it might need to do in order to succeed?

It is not complicated. It is incredibly stupid, but it is not complicated.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659266 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 3:20 PM
It is not complicated. It is incredibly stupid, but it is not complicated.

Yes, that is true. It would have been better for me to say that I can't wrap my brain around the mindset that would lead someone to think that way. It's an alien concept to me. It just makes no damn sense. It's hard to believe that anyone capable of reading (which, presumably our PA friends are as they seem to be working this website rather well) could think like that and be convinced that it's somehow right, just, rational, legitimate, etc.

Lemmings walking off a cliff have more common sense than the entirety of libdom. You literally have to suspend belief to think like they do. Perhaps I'm just not imaginative enough but I've never been able to do it.

Author: twopairfullhouse Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659268 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 3:52 PM
It just makes no damn sense. It's hard to believe that anyone capable of reading (which, presumably our PA friends are as they seem to be working this website rather well) could think like that and be convinced that it's somehow right, just, rational, legitimate, etc.

Well, if you subscribe to the theory that the reason you can't succeed is not because someone else is working harder, but because the world simply doesn't realize that your Ph.D. means that you're entitled to success, then it makes sense, in a whole f#$ked-up kinda way. Or, if you believe that the primary function of the Government is to give you stuff, then you get to the same place, at least on Election Day.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659276 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 5:01 PM
Ask yourselves what will happen when there is no more money that can be borrowed or printed to provide welfare checks, food stamps and free housing for these lovely people? They get violent because they can’t get applications for an apartment. Think what will happen when they have no means of mooching for their sustenance. They will bring unprecedented violence the corners of the United States they infest. Honest, law-abiding people will be forced to kill or be killed. I only pray the libtards who have forced the horror of diversity down our throats will be the first to be bar-b-qued by these foreign savages.

Not to worry, Captain Kicka$$ is at the helm.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659277 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 5:05 PM
The government is the good guys, they have no profit motive so there is no reason for them to do anything except what is best.

No one working in government is greedy either.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659279 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 5:28 PM
Colovion wrote: It would have been better for me to say that I can't wrap my brain around the mindset that would lead someone to think that way. It's an alien concept to me. It just makes no damn sense.

It's like explaining blue to a blind man. ;-)

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659296 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/10/2012 8:52 PM
Oh 2828, you racist Nazi homophobe you. Your post has been pulled. It must have been a good one.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659346 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/11/2012 7:27 AM
No one working in government is greedy either.

I do have to admit that I work in the public sector and I'm one greedy SOB. Well, I like to keep what's mine which is "greed" per the lefties (but them keeping what's theirs isn't, of course). I'm also not a lefty. Taking them down from the inside ;-).

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 659348 of 734735
Subject: Re: I Went Back To Ohio, But My City Was Gone Date: 12/11/2012 8:07 AM
I do have to admit that I work in the public sector and I'm one greedy SOB. Well, I like to keep what's mine which is "greed" per the lefties (but them keeping what's theirs isn't, of course). I'm also not a lefty. Taking them down from the inside ;-).

I think most conservatives are greedy, libertarians are definately greedy

How is it not greedy to want government and society work in a way that you perceive will generate the most progress, the most good and provide the most freedom. A freedom that will be granted to you as a member and goods and productivity that will make your life better?

My greed actively makes me want a society that is better for everyone, that gives every member the most opportunity and that allows each member to succeed to the best of their abilities. I want the benefits of everyone's best.

My belief as a conservative with a strong libertarian side is that the society that I see liberals trying to implement would suck for everyone, and that moving toward not away from libertarianism is the best path for me -- and also for my children and for the disabled and the lazy and......

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement