UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cinesage One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Re: Sacrifices Date: 1/22/2009 2:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I went through this last summer and chose the Sony KDL-52W4100 because the Sonys had the best pictures I saw (side-by-side Samsung, Sharp and Panasonic) in the various stores I shopped (which included the now defunct Circuit City). I didn't want to spend $3Gs, so I didn't look at Sony's higher end models. I considered plasmas, but they burn pretty hot (and use more energy) relative to LCDs. Also, I opted for the 120Hz version (vs. the V4100) of the flat panel to reduce (eliminate?) the "motion crap". It's a fantastic picture IMO, shared by everyone who has seen it. I paid $2,399, which was 20% off the list price at the time ($2,999, which is now $2,499). I found the one I bought for slightly less on the Internet, plus the sales tax savings, but I live less than 10 miles from three (now two) major retailers and I was leery of possible shipping damage and/or return policies if I ordered it online (so my piece of mind was worth the extra $150).

As far as watching TV is concerned, I mostly watch sports (which are almost always broadcast in HD); but my DirecTV DVR up-converts SD channels like TCM to 1080i and they look just fine.

I bought a Sony Blu-ray BDP-S350 for $279 last fall and, I have to tell you, it's difficult to see much difference between an actual Blu-ray disc and the same movie in DVD format when it's being up-converted by the player. I don't know if this a testament to the unit's up-convert capability or my eyesight.

FWIW, I bought a Denon receiver (which came bundled with Boston Acoustics speakers, including a 200W subwoofer). It's VERY nice, though I never had surround sound before so I don't know if it's any better than Onkyo et al.

Obviously you should buy your HDMI etc. cables online at Monoprice (or TigerDirect, but NOT at Best Buy!); they sell wall mounts as well, but I got mine from Amazon.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement