No. of Recommendations: 1
I went to a bullfight in Madrid once. It was kind of bloody. In Spain they start out by driving several long spikes into the bulls back even before it enters the ring. So the bull is bloody when it enters. There is then a group of people who come out and taunt the bull to get it to chase them. Once the bull starts chasing them, they run to the side of the ring and jump over a wall to safety. Then there are three picadores who each carry a couple of colorful darts that are about 18 inches long with a fishhook kind of tip. Each picadore gets the bull to charge and stabs their darts into the back of the bull's neck. When they finish the bull is not only bleeding from it's back but it has six long darts sticking out the back of it's neck and more blood dripping. Then comes a guy with a lance on a horse. The horse is protected on one side by a thick padded shield that looks like a mattress. The guy with the lance gets the horse to stand at a 90 degree angle in front of the bull until the bull charges the horse. Just before the bull reaches the horse, he lowers the lance and stabs the bull in the middle of the back. The momentum of the charging bull drives the lance in fairly deep and it usually still gores the mattress protecting the horse. Sometimes they knock the horse over. By now the blood is just gushing out of the bull. Then, in walks the matador. He torments the bull for awhile with a cape then goes and gets a sword. He gets the bull to charge his cape one final time and just as the bull reaches it, he drives the sword between his eyes and kills him. Some guys on horseback come in with ropes and drag the bull carcass out of the ring. The day we went, they killed 9 bulls, one after the other using exactly the same procedure.

I watched a portuguese bullfight on TV one night when I was in Spain. It was very different than the Spanish bull fights. They didn't kill the bull. I remember the first guy out in the ring with the bull was on horesback and he tried to ride the horse so close in front of the charging bull that he could reach back and put his sombrero over the top of the bulls head, then escape. The horses were incredibly impressive. Then out came the suicide gang. The tips of the bull's horns are cut off so the first guy actually steps into the charging bull and kind of lays across his head with his waiste between the bull's horns and his legs dangling. Once he is in place the other guys pile on and try to wrestle the bull to a stop.

Seems like strange customs, but I'm sure they find American football to be similarly bizarre.
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement