UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190319  
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I went to delete the temp files last night. I say two temp file folders...one that said just temp, another that was a temp internet file.

#1 - I assume I want to delete both, correct?

Not exactly... see below.

#2 - When I went to do so, I got a message that asked me if I wanted to do that as it would effect the program (Note - I had attempted to delete the entire folder instead of the contents).

DO NOT DELETE THESE FOLDERS.

Can I delete the folder in its entirety or do I need to delete each and every file within? There were quite a few. If I am to avoid deleting the folders and just "empty" the contents, how's a quick way to do that?

If you look at the dates, you should be able to figure out which ones are old enough to delete. As long as you're sure you have no other applications open, you should just be able to do cntl-a and delete to take care of all of them. Or, sort the files by date, and use Windows Explorer's regular shift-click-click or cntl-click-click-click (etc.) to select the ones you want to get rid of.

As far as the "temp Internet files" are concerned, I would use IE/Properties to manage this. The only time I clear these files is when I'm getting ready to do a backup, to avoid wasting time backing up these cached items. (Netscape is a different story ... sometimes you have to delete its cache folder to clear up some problems. That's the only time that I know of when it's advisable to delete a "temp"-type folder.)

Hope the above is clear.

Ron
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement