No. of Recommendations: 0
I will celebrate birthday 66 this month. I retired four years ago.
My principal sources of retirement income are a life annuity [paid for by my employer of forty years] and social security. I have no present need to draw from my traditional IRA which is invested in aggressive growth stock mutual funds as a hedge against inflation which will reduce the value of the life annuity.

I have been on a program of converting some of my traditional IRA balances to Roth IRA balances each year. This is because I may be around for another twenty or thirty years so I think it is a good idea to pay the "ordinary income" taxes now in the hope that the "never taxed" accumulated earnings on the Roth investments are significant by the time I need to spend them.

Roth funds do NOT count for the "minimum distribution" rules applicable to people older than 70.5 years with "traditional" IRAs. The earnings between the time I pay the taxes on the converted funds until I draw them are NEVER taxed [under present law which of course the greedy [expletives deleted] in Congress can change any time.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.