UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76420  
Subject: Re: retirement for my 2 and 4 yo?? Date: 6/30/2007 7:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I will probably simply put the extra dollars into a savings account for now and when they get a little older we will work on opening up some sort of brokerage acct...

One more thing - if you think your kids will qualify for any need-based financial aid at all, you may want to rethink putting this money into their names as it is counted more heavily in financial aid calculations than parental assets. Plus, you don't know that they will want to go to college, and they could use these funds for anything they want once they reach the age of majority.

We've always known that our kids would not qualify for need-based aid of any sort, and, of course, the rules with UGMA accounts have changed over the years, so this was something I didn't have to weigh in deciding what to do for the kids. They had their own brokerage accounts by the time they were 3 with McDonald's stock, because they were familiar with McDonald's, so it proved to be a good choice to get them interested in investing.

Something else was that we deliberately have not put their college money in their names. Instead, we put a kicker in when they were 3, and then we added money over the years at Christmas and birthdays and such that was money we considered spent on toys, so that it wouldn't matter to us what they choose to do with this money when they reach 18. In our case, the sole purpose of these accounts was to teach them about investing, so we treated it like the $100 Christmas gift that we didn't buy, and instead put it into stock.

Today, between gifts from us over the years, earnings, and appreciation, my 16-year-olds each have a nice net worth and a good start in their financial life.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement