No. of Recommendations: 9
I will say that if I thought diamonds were beautiful and if they were important to me, I would hope that my future husband would indulge me, rather than begrudge me the diamond because it was a "poor investment." As it was, when I got married, I chose an antique-like gold band with a tiny diamond that cost $32 (thirty-two) at a jewelry store in Northern California in the early 70's, and I am still happy with it. I think diamonds ARE beautiful and am most grateful to now have my mother's diamond wedding ring. I am glad that my father didn't think buying her that ring was a dumb investment. It gave my mother much pleasure, and now I enjoy it, and it is a keepsake from them to me. It has NOTHING to do with money for ME.

Pauline

Well several points:

1. The dumbest thing I bought my wife was a beautiful scrimshaw broach that I scraped all my graduate student money to buy after I got my first job. She looked at it, hummmmm'd and I never saw it again. For over 25 years I never bought her jewelry again without testing the waters.

2. When we decided then to get married and moved from Florida to Nebraska, I took her home and we stopped at a department store to get an engagement ring (wanted to look right), again with NO money. Got one at half the close-out price sale. She wore it for three years until we went to a jewelry store and he offered to clean it, and put it under a scope and literally physically winced. I asked to see it, and being a very nice man he advised against it and then reluctantly agreed, and the diamonds had black spots because it was so cheap. We exchanged better rings.

3. 22 years later (and because of children about the next time I could afford to buy her jewelry) we were back visiting Lincoln Nebraska looking for a momento and happened, accidentally to go back to the same shop (different store, same family owner). The sales person again cleaned the rings and recognized that his father (the owner) had sold us those rings (his initials were on the inside). He and his sister were the pesty little kids, 11 and 8 years old, who we remembered were in the store that day.

4. Best investment ever is/was DW. Two kids, poorer and richer, hard times and good, I still don't know what she saw in the slightly color blind geek who was nervous and couldn't match clothes right. But thank God she said "Ok, I guess so ... where IS Nebraska?" [laugh]
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement