Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I will selling stock options and am planning on using the proceeds to buy a house (my first)


avoid paying captial gains taxes on the stock sale

I don't believe this is the case. You may be thinking about being able to borrow from your IRA/401K for purposes of buying a house. You are still required to pay the money back (to yourself), but there are no early withdrawal penalties when you do so.

Sorry, but the stock sale is separate from the home purchase, and you have to pay the capital gains on it.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.