UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (99) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: COJones100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56839  
Subject: Re: Poll: Nuclear Power Date: 12/20/2007 9:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I wish I understood this whole process more, and better. As I understand it, there are rocks in the earth that give off waves of energy. When they're placed next to other rocks they get quite angry and send off a lot more energy. This can be easily turned into heat, which can be turned into steam, which can be turned into electricity.

When I was a kid, they told us that a then-new submarine or aircraft carrier or something would only need to be refueled three or four times in its entire service lifetime—and they were forecasting that they might last for 100 years, with retrofits as new technologies became available.

So we dig up rocks, put 'em next to other rocks, use the heat to steam the water and use the steam to drive the power turbines. Electricity! Ta-Daaaa! After some number of years, the rocks don't have as much in 'em as before, so we swap 'em out for other rocks… and the problem then becomes what to do with the old, dead rocks? Is that about it?

How much is it that needs to be in there for a rock to be able to be used to generate power? Can we expect technology to increase the life of the rocks, using more? Or maybe there might be a market for low-powered rocks? I guess the thing I don't understand the most would be, if the rocks came from the earth, then what's wrong with returning them to the earth, if they have less energy stored within them when we're done?

Maybe I should have been paying attention all along, but I probably made up my mind and turned a deaf ear to new innovations about the time of the James Taylor/Jackson Browne concerts in the early 1970s, though I did enjoy the Fonda/Douglas movie. Can someone point me to some good sources on this stuff? I have the feeling it's about to be important, again.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (99) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement