UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: devlishz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308687  
Subject: Re: Consolidation, Taxes and Ameridebt Date: 6/15/2000 8:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I wish I would have found this forum before I signed up with Ameridebt.. However, I've already signed up. I crossed out the voluntery fee section and wrote that I do not wish to contribute at this time on the contract before faxing it to them so I hope that I'm covered there.
I have a couple questions:

First let me say, I wasn't behind on any of my payments, the only reason I wanted to go with ameridebt was I wanted lower interest rates, and fewer payments to remember every month. The 19% interest rates were making it impossible to pay off any of the cards even though I don't use them any more. I have copies of my credit report from the 3 major agencies - I have 2 minor faults (30 days late) but other than that - everything else is good. My biggest problem is the amount of unsecured debt.

My counselor advised me not to make any payments on my cards even though they are due before the payment to ameridebt is due. I've already had 2 companies calling me on overdue payments. I explained that I was going thru Ameridebt and that they told me not to make separate payments - that they would handle all the negotiations with the credit card companies. I was informed that until a proposal was received by the credit card company, I would be considered overdue. I called Ameridebt and talked to my "counselor" who was rather put-out that I was questioning their practices. He said they couldn't submit a proposal without my first payment - which is due after several of the card due dates. I pushed and he finally agreed to "break the rules" and fax the proposal to the one company ahead of time. That was monday - I checked with the credit card company today and was told they hadn't received anything.

1) When I discussed the overdue situation with the "counselor" he assured me that all the accounts would be "re-aged" and wouldn't reflect on my credit report as being late. What exactly is "re-aging" an account, and, is this something they can do?

2) If I do decide that they aren't living up to their promises and want to no longer use them, how do I go about contacting the creditors and making my own payments under the same agreements as ameridebt sets up? I noticed that a couple people have stated that they managed to do this.. I would appreciate some info - I have a feeling that I will need it.

thanks so much,

Lanna
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement