UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (226) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MDGluon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58839  
Subject: Re: Such different conclusions Date: 3/16/2007 11:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I wish my critical post from yesterday morning had received zero recs instead of about 30, and that the interesting posters had simply moved on to discussions of retiring early, thereby leaving the rest to argue among themselves about ponzi schemes, compliment each other on their brilliance to their hearts' content, and reccing each other to their hearts' content.

I disagree.

Your posts, initially, were of value and pointed out good information and reasoning on why SS is not a Ponzi scheme, what its flaws are, and what it's strenghts are....valuable, with utility for the board and others, and not tobe regretted.

The problem, as I see it, is continuing to beat the horse to fine explosive grain dust quality when the mantra is thrown out again and a poster just restates thier position and belief without supporting data.
That is where sometime it gets rather silly....rebutting new data, incorporating it, or revelaing it as a sham is ok though....just avoid the "Nailing Jello to a Tree" thing if possible.

Of this means often letting the other have the last post...which usually is understood by anyone that has more than two brain cells to rub together as not being a "win" by the last poster but as a rational decision to not respond unless needed.

I found the rebuttals of the Ponzi Scheme "meme" and the expansion of ideas about social contract and the use of government force in response to the manter "Gubmint robbing me" "whine" of interest, even as I knew what the memes and mantras would be and already knew what the reasoned, rational responses would most likely appear.

Conservatives have the memes and mantras down pat, including the sneers, smears, and denigration techniques code words....not sure if progressive liberals want the latter even as we need for former (memes that is).

Good posts overall though.
My views on SS, taxes, and the implied social contract are much more complex and also more simple.....perhaps I will expound some time in the future.

md
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (226) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement