UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (63) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886522  
Subject: Re: Don't do this.... Date: 2/23/2014 9:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I wonder how much she owed from her prior degree. That's a ton of money for an MSW. I think I paid closer to $30k.

I suspect she was also living on her student loans. Instead of taking the bare minimum, which might be tuition and books, she also was paying the rent and the rest of her living expenses. And it also included some of the expenses from her previous Masters. But no, she clearly didn't think it through.

Student loans, and how they are viewed, can be an interesting study. There's someone (name withheld to protect the guilty) who took out huge student loans to make it through law school. After graduating he went to work a a big law firm where he could make lots of money and pay down the loans. And he hated it. Just loathed every minute there. So he quit.

He took another job where he didn't make as much money, and he admits he will probably never earn enough money to pay off the loans. He's still paying on them, it's not as though he defaulted, but he'll never pay them down all the way. He admits there are consequences: he'll never be able to buy a home, or get a loan on a car, or do a lot of other things. But he hated that job so much, and likes his new job so much better, that he feels the cost is worth it.

Of course, he's a lot younger than that woman. It's possible that at some point he'll make more money and pay his loans. But I'm not sure that he's considering what his retirement will be like. When you're thirty, retirement is a long way away.

Nancy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (63) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement