UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63080  
Subject: Re: 2013 health insurance increase Date: 11/24/2012 8:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
I wonder how much the cost of health insurance will go up if Republicans succeed in moving up the age to qualify for Medicare--what do you think private companies will charge for age 65+? I think SP's $1271/mont IIRC would pale in comparison. How many 65-70 year olds can afford to pay $2k/month--apiece in the case of couples--for health insurance? We couldn't, and we're better off than most.

Since DH worked for the state of SC for 10 years and is over 60, he can keep employee health insurance--at employee rates--even though he's retiring. (He's grandfathered--a few years ago they changed it to 15 years + age 60. IIRC, 25 years + age 55 changed to 28 years.) When you turn 65, this plan morphs into a Medicare supplemental at the same cost (even though Medicare now covers hospitalization and a few other things). If the GOP succeeds in requiring people to turn 66, 67, 68... to get Medicare, I suspect our insurance cost will jump very high in the years from 65 to whenever Medicare starts--or maybe they'll share the load to keep premiums level at all ages, forcing state employees in their teens, 20s, and so forth to pay higher rates to cover those over 65 and not yet in Medicare.

Not to mention that if Medicare starts later than 65, healthier people will be peeled off the bottom, leaving sicker folks, higher Medicare costs, and fewer premiums to pay for it. I think it's a polot to "starve the beast." IMO we ought to go in the other direction, starting Medicare younger to add more healthy people to the program, perhaps age 62 to match Social Security or even age 60. At age 63, neither DH nor I have in any year cost our insurance companies over the years as much as the premiums we paid, even though I have some health issues.

SOME DATA

"Retired baby boomers left their jobs at an average age of 60 for men and 57 for women. Over a quarter (29 percent) of those surveyed retired between ages 56 and 61, and 20 percent retired at age 62. Just over a third (36 percent) of these boomers say the main reason they retired was because they reached retirement age and wanted to. But about half (51 percent) of retired boomers report they retired earlier than they originally expected to.
Just 6 percent of the baby boomers surveyed retired primarily because they had enough money and could afford to."

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/planning-to-retire/2012/...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement