Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I wonder if someone could explain the differences between the Prius and the Civic regarding which is better for what driving conditions. I understand that one is better--based on the motor/engine configuration-- for city driving and the other is more suited for highway travel, but I'm not clear on which is which and why.

Forget anything you've read. Test drive them both. Buy the one that you are most comfortable with and/or has the features you like best and/or handles the best for you on the road. There are significant engineering differences, both arriving with a similar result.

I've owned a Prius for 1.5+ years. It's great. I haven't driven a Civic yet. The inverted Prius mileage numbers (51 city/45 highway) are an anomaly of how the tests are done and don't reflect real driving. Except for ideal conditions you'll get better mpg on the highway. I get anywhere from 35 mpg to 55 mpg in the city and 48-57 mpg on the highway. Overall I get ~45 in winter and ~50 in summer and I do mostly (60-70%) city driving.

Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement