No. of Recommendations: 7
I wonder where you would get houses, in safe areas, that people would actually want to live in, and which you wouldn't have to spend a fortune maintaining for $50K. I'm just saying.

A friend of mine is doing this. First of all, to make it work, he buys duplexes, which means finding one of the few safe areas in the New Orleans area that have nice duplexes at a reasonable price. Otherwise, you get into suburban slums where crack is openly sold in the streets, people don't pay their rent, blah blah blah. You have to be really picky. But anyway, you find the duplexes, and they really all have to be in the same neighborhood. Which is close to YOUR neighborhood, where you actually live, so you can manage them, pick up rent, etc. without giving 10 percent or more to a management company which does nothing but pick up rent and doesn't catch on if a crackhead boyfriend moves in with that nice middle-aged teacher or what-have-you.

The reason for buying duplexes, in case it isn't clear, is that rents are not high enough to cover the mortgage plus property tax plus costs and still leave room for profit for most single family dwellings. This is just our area, yours may be different.

A lot of older people who still rent are alcoholics. It is a fine line to walk. He has to find people who are stable enough to pay the rent, yet not quite "together" enough to ever get a house down-payment together. At least when they move out because they bought a house, they are not bitter and they don't trash their old apartment up as a going-away present to the landlord.

That said, my friend is making money. But it is no walk in the park. And even though New Orleans is cheap as far as cities go, there is no way he could have bought any $50,000 houses to start. The condition of the houses and the neighborhoods would make it impossible to get decent tenants who pay the rent on time or even at all.

Not sure if my input will help, but maybe it will spark a few ideas?
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement