Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: rensimer Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121563  
Subject: Re: Low-Income Tax Credits Date: 8/12/2001 8:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I would advise not to buy into any deal whose main selling point is tax benefits rather than the underlying economic soundness of the investment. What Congress giveth this year can just as readily be taken away next year and there is no guarantee that you would be grandfathered after any change in tax law. I know from experience. In 1983 I purchased a low income housing realty partnership; the main selling points were large tax deductions in the up front years and income from the sale of the properties in later years. (Sound familiar?) Shortly thereafter, Congress decided that they were no longer interested in incenting low income housing and radically changed all the rules in mid-game. The deductions were classified as passive, and in my case, as a non direct owner of rental properties, became largely useless. Furthermore, because of the extensive regulation by government agencies of low income housing, the properties were not readily saleable under the new rules, so the partnership continued in existence much longer than was originally planned and the expected income stream from property sales never occurred. Until I finally sold this very illiquid investment earlier this year, it has been almost two decades of dead money and accounting headaches, and even after selling it and receiving practically nothing for it, I'm going to owe more in capital gain taxes on it than I am receiving for it's sale, because much of the accumulated passive losses over the years were used up to offset phantom income that the partnership generated and that I would have been taxed on over the years.
So my advice, think long and hard on this one; once in, it's hard to get out, especially after they change the rules on you.

WTR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement