Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I would contribute the maximum amount to your 403(b) first (for example 20% of your pre-tax income) before I worried about an IRA. Especially if your AGI exceeds the ceiling for deducting your IRA contribution on your tax return. I say this for 2 reasons:
1) The tax savings are greater (contributing pre-tax vs. post-tax and then not getting the deduction on your tax return)

2) You can only contribute a maximum of $2000 to an IRA a year, but with the 403(b), 20% of your salary is (most likely) more than $2000. If a 403(b) has the same rules as a 401(k), then you can contribute a maximum of $10,000 a year pre-tax.

After you max out your 403(b), if you still want to put money into an IRA, consider a Roth IRA (if your AGI doesn't exceed the limit). If you can't deduct the $2000 on your tax return, you might as well not have to pay tax on the pay-out upon retirement.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.