No. of Recommendations: 0
I would contribute to the 401K what ever is necessary to get the company contributions. Then I would use a self directed IRA for additional investments. I think you have a good plan up to this point. However, I think you need to do a lot more thinking about a regular versus a Roth IRA. The Roth sounds great until you run the numbers. If you qualify for a tax deductible IRA, that may be the best option. If you don't qualify for a tax deductible IRA, then the Roth IRA will be your best option.

Regards, Jim
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.