No. of Recommendations: 3
I would disagree with Ira and uncharacteristically with LegalWordWarrior. If you have the new job offer in writing and they are waiting for a decision, and you have more compelling reasons to stay than to take the new job, then I would go to your boss and say very simply that you have received an offer for more responsibility and better compensation with another employer, but out of respect for her and your current employer, you wanted to offer them the chance to match the opportunity that has been presented.

Give them a day or however long you have to decide with the new employer less 2 days. If they have any interest in matching the offer, they will ask you how much and what kind of responsibility you want. Be prepared with a salary or compensation and role requirement that you would consider sufficient to turn down the new job offer. You do not need to, and should not, tell them how much you've been offered, who you would be working for nor what you would be doing. It is none of their business - only tell them what they would have to offer for you to choose to stay.

From your description, they are unlikely to be willing to counter-offer, in which case you can then tender your resignation without any guilt, not that you should ever feel guilty leaving a company. They wouldn't hesitate to terminate you on a dime if they felt it was in their interests.

If the fail to match or exceed the new job offer or you are not really interested in continuing with the current employer and really want to go with the new job, then I would accept the new offer and give your employer 2 weeks notice immediately. Accept the new offer before you resign to make sure you don't have the offer yanked at the last minute. It's happened before.

Be prepared to pack up your office the same day as you talk to your boss. You might even want to remove some items the day before so you can make a quick exit. Some employers handle terminations and resignations better than others. My former employer promised to ship my personal items home, then packed everything loose, resulting in two ceramic mugs being shattered, one which was irreplaceable.

Don't be unprepared, don't second guess yourself, and remember that no one cares about you more than you.

Fuskie
Who notes you don't want to burn any bridges when leaving an employer, so try to keep emotion out of the equation and always act professionally, even if you feel they are not...

-----
Ticker Guide for The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Orbital ATK (OA), Intuit (INTU), Time Warner (TWX), Titan International (TWI)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement