UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 6Bitsadollar Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 90  
Subject: Re: Welcome to Getting A Child Into College Date: 5/23/2007 7:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I would expect this board to become active in the fall. By now most students have already made their class choices for next year.

DD just finished her freshman year at an expensive private college.
DS went to a public 4 year college and got his master's at a private university so we have experience with both.

We started talking with DD in really broad terms about college when she was in 5th grade. Both went to a private school that prides itself on getting all the grads into college. We had conversations about it several times a year with our going into more detail as she got older.

For us, it was important for her to know she would have to figure out how to pay for an out-of-state public school or a private one.
We discussed all sorts of things--loans, scholarships, ROTC, etc.

We joke about it but it seems colleges want a well-rounded individual with high grades/test scores and who excels in some other area as well.

In 7th grade she took the ACT as part of the Talent program that Duke has and made a 27 (she made a 35 when she took it her junior year).

If you think you will need financial aid, start looking over the forms as soon as possible. This will give you an idea of what a college would expect you to pay which may be much higher than you have planned.
Go to a bookstore and look at all the books on getting into and paying for college. Our hs offered a seminar for senior parents about the FAFSA form for finaid and they invited junior parents as well. If your hs offers it, go as early as you can. It doesn't hurt to hear it several times.

I am rambling--will come back when there are specific questions that I think I can answer.

Molly--

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement