Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: seansan Three stars, 500 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 243  
Subject: Re: Here to learn more Date: 3/18/2001 8:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I would like to look at the medical side and could look at Osram if everybody agrees.

Oliver

Go for it! If no one has a complaint, I'd like to take mobile handsets and networks to start with.(You knew I would say this.) It is my strongest field given the choices.

I don't know how long it will take for me to receive my requested material from Munich. Once I do, I'll see what else I feel comfortable pursuing.

As a sidenote, I mentioned that my investments overlap.
A cursory glance came up with this connection:
http://www.osram-os.com/
Januar 2001
Osram Opto Semiconductors enhances brightness of blue InGaN-LEDs

In December 1999 Osram Opto Semiconductors in Regensburg, Germany, developed a prototype of a new chip design to enhance light outcoupling. This new chip is called the ATON. The brightness is twice of OSRAM´s standard device and is able to reach a level of 5mW at 20mA in 5mm lamps. Mass production started in August/September 2000 and today, brightness levels of 8mW can be achieved using the ATON technology.
The new technology was successfully brought to market in early 2000. The technology was licenced to Cree Research Inc., North Carolina USA and the technology transfer was realized between June to September of 2000. This new process is based on a new patent-pending technology that improves the external light extraction by optimization of the geometry of the chip. This technology is based on the principle where light is on an inclined back-side facet ; allowing light extraction with initial contact with light rays. The inclined facets avoid total reflection and this compensates the higher refractive index of SiC as compared to sapphire. The design is optimized for mechanical stability, for example tipping, adhesion for packaging, thermal and electrical resistance as well as light extraction using chip simulation tools such as ray-tracing techniques.

Osram working with Cree in any capacity is a very good sign. Cree has a near-monopoly on the production of Silicon Carbide, a material which could (possibly) make the current incandescant bulb obsolete. This is yet another thing for us to look at in the future.

I'm both excited and exhausted at the potential of this company. I think we need to recruit some more Fools. Any ideas?

Sorry, it's late and I'm rambling. I'll begin work on the mobile sector soon. It's fortunate that my self-imposed exile from the Nokia board coincides with the beginning of this board. I can keep my mind running, just on a parallel track.

So much to learn.

seansan

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement